Monday 8 October 2012

being black and white

My first foray into the world of REAL photography!

Shooting, developing and printing my own photos - having dusted off my old faithful Contax 139 Quartz with it's amazing Zeiss Planar 1.7/50 lens


much loved and well used - it's been all over the world with me, never to part . . .

Most of the pics I took on our Mull extravaganza back in May 2012 and a few at home and at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

So how did it go . . .

First the excitement of the images emerging on the negative, just like in an episode of Wallander!  Then printing the conact sheets themselves.

And the first big one out of the developing baths was my shot of the amazing sand patterns on the beach on Iona.  Note I didn't say my amazing shot - I know there's heaps of learning in both the taking of black and white and the developing - but not a bad first attempt!

If you want to see almost the same shot in colour have a look at my blog on our day on Iona (it's quite a way down the page)

 and the rest were hanging out to dry when I left
next time I'll tackle some of the others, so watch this space.

And I can't leave without huge thanks to Rob and his patient tutorials!

No comments:

Post a Comment